When you try to make your skincare regime, the advice that is repeated again and again is to include sun protection. Most dermatologists recommend using sun protection. So, you might wonder does it really worth the attention it gets?
To help you understand everything about the importance of sun protection, we’ve covered all the essential queries here. Read this post till the end to understand why sun protection is important and how to find the best one!
Why Do You Need a Sun Protection?
You must have heard that being in the sun means you’re exposed to intense UV radiations. Skin experts say that if you’re exposed to UV rays for long, the risk for skin cancer and damage increases considerably. Here are some reasons that make sun protection an essential part of the skincare routine:
- It’s your shield from harmful UV rays.
- When you’re protected from UV rays, the risk of skin cancers and sunburns decreases.
- It’s essential if you want to maintain an even skin tone. Your skin contains melanin, which can cause pigmentation when exposed to the sun. Sun protection or sunshield can reduce pigmentation and tanning.
- Sun rays can reduce the amount of collagen in your skin. The decrease in collagen is directly linked with wrinkles, fine lines, saggy skin, and other aging signs. You can slow down the aging process by applying sun protection regularly.
How To Select a Sun Protection?
According to the American Academy of Dermatology, good sun protection should have the following properties:
- Broad Spectrum
UV rays are of two types, UVA and UVB. The primary cause of most skin cancers and sunburns is UVB rays. Therefore, most sun protections protect against UVB.
But it’s a little-known fact that UVA rays can also cause skin cancers and early aging due to excessive sun exposure. Broad-spectrum sun protection protects your skin from both UVA and UVB rays.
Broad-spectrum sun protection passes a special test to get the label “broad spectrum.” To ensure that your skin is protected from all kinds of harmful UV rays, always choose broad-spectrum sun protection.
- SPF 30 or Higher
SPF stands for sun protection factor. According to FDA, sun protection with an SPF less than 15 won’t protect you from skin cancers and aging. It will only help against sunburns.
Sun protection having SPF protects you from about 97% UVB rays. If you choose a higher number, this percentage of filtering UVB increases, improving skin protection.
- Water Resistant
Water resistant sun protection doesn’t mean it’s waterproof. No sun protection can be completely water resistant. There is a specific duration for which the sun protection stays on wet skin. This duration is usually 40 or 80 minutes.
Choose the one that offers water resistance for a long time, so you don’t have to reapply after very short intervals.
Other Things To Consider While Purchasing
- It should be completely natural.
- It doesn’t contain any ingredients that can cause skin irritation.
- Read the label for skin type.
Mineral Vs. Chemical Sun Protection: Which One Is Better?
When you start looking for sun protection, you come across two options, mineral and chemical sun protection. The active ingredients of these two differ. Here is a quick comparison of mineral and chemical sun protection to help you decide which one is better for you.
- Chemical Sun Protection
Chemical sun protections are also known as “absorbers.” They contain organic (carbon-based) compounds as active ingredients. They protect the skin from harmful UV rays by a chemical reaction that converts UV rays into heat. The heat is then released from the skin.
In recent years, the use of chemical sun protection has been discouraged by many states. Hawaii bans chemicals containing sun protection due to their harmful effects on marine life and coral reefs.
In 2019, the Federal Food and Drug Administration (FDA) published a report regarding the safety of sun protection. According to the FDA report, the safe and effective ingredients in sun protection are zinc oxide and titanium oxide.
They are safe and effective for protecting against the sun and don’t cause any damage to humans as well as marine life. Sun protections containing harmful chemicals can trigger acne, endocrine issues, hormonal imbalance, etc., in humans.
The ingredients including oxybenzone, homosalate, and octocrylene are a significant danger to coral reefs and other marine life. The presence of oxybenzone causes the most severe damage. That’s why Hawaii and many other US and European states have banned the use of chemical sun protection.
- Mineral Sun Protection
Mineral sun protection act as “reflectors.” The active ingredients of these are zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. These minerals act as physical blockers and form a protective shield on the skin. This shield protects your skin from UV rays.
A brief appointment with your dermatologist, skin care specialist, or Zahara skin care specialist will be the best to know if your skin needs mineral or chemical sun protection.
Zahara Sunshield Mineral Moisturizer: The Best You Can Get!
If you’re looking for a sunshield mineral moisturizer, then Zahara Naturals Collection brings you the best. Zahara Sunshield Mineral Moisturizer is made from all natural minerals that are super soothing for your skin.
If you need a sunshield that acts as a moisturizer while protecting your skin from the sun, then Zahara Sunshield Mineral Moisturizer is a perfect choice.
Why Should You Choose Zahara Sunshield Mineral Moisturizer?
Here are some reasons why you should choose Zahara Sunshield Mineral Moisturizer:
- The active ingredients protect your skin from UVA and UVB rays and don’t contain chemicals that can harm coral reefs and other marine life.
- It’s excellent for moisturizing and hydrating your skin in addition to sun protection. As a result, your skin is protected against skin damage due to dehydration.
- Sunshield Mineral Moisturizer is suitable for all skin types. It’s silicon-free, so you can use it even if you have sensitive skin without worrying about irritation or acne.
- Zahara Day Spa makes sure that healthy skin shouldn’t cost you hundreds of dollars. So, you can get this excellent Sunshield Mineral Moisturizer at an affordable price. Click here to purchase now!
How To Use Sunshield Mineral Moisturizer For Best Results?
Follow the guidelines mentioned below for applying Sunshield Mineral Moisturizer to best results:
- Apply it on your face, hands, or any other body part that will be exposed to the sun before going outside.
- If applying before makeup, apply at least 15 minutes before makeup. It helps Sunshield Mineral Moisturizer to absorb properly in the skin.
- Don’t forget to reapply every one to two hours if you’re in the sun for a long time.
Now, you can understand why it’s said that good skincare begins with a good sunshield. Zahara Sunshield Mineral Moisturizer is the best you can get. Try it once, and we bet that you’re going to love the results. You won’t be able to stop yourself from adding this to your regular skincare regime afterward!